This is life: Chapter 05 - The Question

Ive just returned from a short trip to mountains. Awesome experience. I'll tell you why. Not just because of my bus jumping not below 50 mph during whole journey driven by a nearly drunken driver in a cold dark night at the mountain tops, also coz i finally figured out the answer to the most deadly question in my life. That guy was sitting next to me in the last lane of bus seats. I was talking to someone about some scandal of medicines. That guy took interest in our talk too and after a while he shot a series of questions onto me.
He: So your from Chandigarh??
Me: Yea
He: And about your studies??
Me: Well .. im a graduate in science. And now into Animation.
He: What is ani..mation???
Me: .................................
........ Oooh ... my...... GOD! Not this question again :-/
World stopped moving for me at that instance. I was looking into his curious eyes .. while he was looking at my face .. expecting a decent reply .. a bit embarrased of his general knowledge. I collected my experience of tackling this question from past 99999999 times. I replied after lots of thinking and seconds of pause ..
Me: mm .. animation?? .... Have you seen spiderman?? :)
He: .. spider ..mm .. wat??
Me: GOD!! ... mm .. Batman?? Superman?? Hanuman ..?? :O
He: .. hmm .. :-/
Me: .. :-/
Me: What do you do??
He: Im in army.
I relaxed back to normal state .. took a deep breath. I was glad after knowing he is an army guy. Coz atleast he had a valid reason for his illiteracy of the new trends unlike past incidents.
I replied him back.
Me: Well .. im an animator .. im a story teller .. i make animations .. i entertain people. Its like film making .. just the medium is computer.
Im sure he got nothing of what i explained :D watelse i could tell. Its the most difficult thing to explain a non-animation guy what is animation. This time i figured it out actually ... not the answer .. but the solution. Just explain it once .. and never bother if they dont get it :D If you know how to tackle this .. plz do tell me.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time... tell them... you make movies... cartoon movies... they'll understand... then start with mickey mouse... even my grand-father knew who mickey-mouse is? :P Instead of spiderman ask about 'tom n jerry' or 'ek chidhiya anek chidiya'... ha ha... I just hope you don't bump into such a guy again :)

AMBUJ JOSHI said...

Mickey mouse might work :D Im gonna try mickey next time. But i never expected it for spiderman either :D What if he said .. mickey .. wat? xD

Neha Maini said...

hahaha good solutions you are figuring out. :)

Neha Maini said...

mogli is also a famous example to be given . and do sing that mogli song next time u meet such a person :D . it'll be recognized .

AMBUJ JOSHI said...

waaaaa ... how wuold it look me singing "jangal jangal baag chali hai pata chala hai .. chaddi pehn ke phool khila hai phool khila hai" and everyone sitting in bus watching me like .. wat the hell =D

Eeshita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eeshita said...

ok, this is how I explain what animation is to people who are totally unaware about it .I tell them I make cartoons. If they still give blank look, I tell them like Tom and Jerry, mickey mouse....If they still give blank look, then I say that I make people smile and laugh.

AMBUJ JOSHI said...

hehe ... but i actually dont make cartoons aint it? =D I make them act .. doh so hard to explain xD

Mitali P said...

I totally get what you mean... And we feel this unsurpassable "URGE" to make people understand the awesomeness of this field... =3

ANKUR said...

haha!
buddy
nice story
and usually happens with every ANIMATOR
and same happens with me so many time
!
bt realy a frustrated Q.........!!
bt
i like to give them answer by saying cartoon movie!! and that all stuff!!
u can also use this answer!!!!
lolZZZZ!!..........

AMBUJ JOSHI said...

hehe